Tuesday, December 12, 2017

The World of Comics: Daytripper: Issues #1-3

For this week, I read a handful of issues drom Daytripper, which I thought was a really fascinating exploration of what evryday moments can mean to us, beginnings and ends of stories, and how you have to take your chances in life. The main character is a man who makes a living writing about others' demises, wanting to experience life for himself, but always getting cut short. His constant yearning for something beyond what he is living sends him down a series of paths which always lead to his death, but as the reader, we get to see (perhaps another version of) Brás live another day in the next issue. As a reader, I felt compelled by the story and kept wanting to read more because I wanted to see him accomplish his goals, which could just be my natural desire for happy endings.

I also really enjoyed the characters, limited though they are. Jorge is ever supporting and faithful to Brás, so he becomes a useful optimist in the midst of a rather sad narrative. Brás' conflicted feelings about his parents and his disdain for the fact that he's adopted their habits is intriguing, especially when the bar owner is killed by his nephew and Brás' own "you can't choose your family" philosophy is thrown back at him as he dies. I'll probably be reading more of Daytripper, if for nothing else but my growing curiousity about the nonlinear story and characters' fates.



No comments:

Post a Comment